Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A little surprise... maybe...

OK so don't tell my dad, but I got all signed up to go back to school and I may get my 2yr degree in the Spring. I am not telling him just in case it doesn't happen. I would rather have it almost happen and then make him rush out for graduation! For those of you who have been reading for a while, you may know that I registered at Olympic College in the Fall to go this coming Spring, since I know myself, and that is about how long it takes me to get my proverbial shit together.
So today in the mail I received my financial aid award letter, so I have been granted funds to complete this degree and if I play my cards right, I won't have to pay as much as I thought to complete this degree that has taken FOREVER to get. I am waiting for my transcripts to make it from TCC to OC so I can get a proper degree audit. I hope I don't find out that I will need to take a ton of classes that I don't know about. I have like 145 credits towards my 90-credit degree... so something has got to work out!
The schedule says Spring quarter is from March 31st to June 11, and although I don't know when or what classes I will be taking yet, I do know that childcare is always the issue, and has been the two other times I thought I was in my last quarter of college. So please, I am begging you, if you are local and know any sitters, or want to do a childcare swap, or just feel like helping me out, let me know. I am taking volunteers! I will pay you too. I really really need to do this this time. It is getting ridiculous!
I remember when I told my dad I was pregnant right after I turned 19, and I will never forget the disappointed look on his face as he told me he was worried that I would never be able to finish school and get a decent job. I feel like finishing school, even just a 2yr degree, will finally alleviate some of that disappointment. So what I would like to do, and I already okayed this with my mom, is just work hard all quarter, don't even mention school to my dad, then when I am passing and can graduate, invite them out for a visit, and then have my mom just take him to the graduation ceremony place so he can see me walk. How sweet would that be? There's nothing I want more right now.
...
Which makes me think maybe now is not the time for a boyfriend or relationship. Dammit. Is it ever the time?

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

hey, good to see you back in the blogging world!

Leslie said...

Thanks- it was good to have a break from the feeling of 'having to' do something, and it is awesome to be back!

The Miller's said...

Hey Leslie, Email me details of what you'd be needing for childcare...konkymillers@msn.com. I may be interested.

I hope you can get your degree! You'll be motivation for me - I am only 3 classes from my Associates, but I don't know when I'll be able to finish.

Leslie said...

Thanks Amber- I need the encouragement! After failing to complete twice now, I feel like this is my last chance, even though I know in my brain it's not, I don't know if I would ever get the courage up to try again if it doesn't work this time.
I emailed you :)