Friday, January 4, 2008

Cool Mom Points

I earned some major cool mom points today with kk. When I picked her up from daycare, I asked her where she wanted to go for dinner. She said Seattle (which was not really an option, but she is an original thinker.) So I said okay, much to her surprise (and my own!) and we drove down to the dock, got a Starbucks, and hopped on the ferry for the hour-long ride into downtown. I didn't really have a plan but sometimes that is the funnest part. I used to do this kind of spontaneous stuff all the time before I was a mom, and it was kind of thrilling when we were on the ferry to Seattle and hit some hydro-turbulence and I went to call my mom and tell her about it when i saw my phone had died. There is that very brief moment of what did i jsut do when you realize that no one knows where you are and you dont have your cell phone. But for me that fear is gone in .5 seconds.
So we got off the ferry and walked down to the Olde Curiosity Shoppe where I got to show KK the mummies and I got her name engraved on a piece of rice and put into a necklace. That was way cool for her because she can never find anything with her name on it, it always has to be specially made since I messed with the spelling of her name so badly. Then we talk to the cashier about where we should go for dinner and he suggested a couple places but I knew there was a fancy Ivar's right down the street on the pier. So that is where we went.
KK and I shared an appetizer of dungeness crab chevre parmesan fondue dip (OMG YUM) and the bread they brought was yummy rosemary bread, so the meal was off to a perfect start. Fopr our entrees, KK had Junior pasta, which was bowties in light butter and parmesan, but she forgot she doesnt like parmesan unless it is entirely melted and she doesnt know its there, so she didnt eat much. I on the other hand ate every last bite of mine. I had the seared wild Alaskan Coho Salmon (without the brussels sprouts) which was flashed in a sherry glaze and served over a bed of their bacon and fingerling potato hash... and you know how deep my feelings for bacon are. So yes, I ate the whole thing and I was soooo stuffed. But KK and I have a tradition every time we dine at seafood restaurants we end the meal by sharing a creme brulee. So in the name of tradition... I am lucky I didn't bust the button off my pants!
When we finished we did some shopping at the Exclusively Washington store, where I bought a seafood cookbook and KK got some postcards for her pen pal. We cought the ferry back just in time and were home by 10pm. Thankfully I didnt get too lost trying to find my car as it was pouring and raining sideways when we docked.
KK had a great time. So did I. My kid is way good company!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

that sounds amazing

ABW said...

That sounds good.

WTG talking about that when I am back on WW!