Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Dish

Usually I am a fan of dishes. yummy food comes on them. But last night I met a dish I dont like at all. here is a bad picture of the dish:

Nothing wrong with the dish, per se, except that it is in the middle of my new yard right where I was going to put kks trampoline, and right where instead of seeing green beauty i now see property damage and personal injury. i was NOT happy to hear about this. It wasnt there when I went to check out the place, but it was when I went to sign the lease Tuesday. My landlord agreed she did not like it being there, and told me it was odd that no one had called her about setting it up, since she is the one who owns the place. So Tuesday everything was fine. Then Wednesday night I get this email from her:

Hello Leslie,
I spoke to the Dish Network guy and the dish is there to stay as he was not able to find another spot that could receive 2 towers. He said he was there one day and then brought another guy to find a decent spot. They tried the roof , the wall etc. but the trees are in the way, actually just the one really tall one.
However, the cable on the grass is unacceptable and he knew that so he will come next week and burry it. I will get a small fence around the thing, hopefully next week too.
Hope things are well,
Wille


I was beyond pissed. So I wrote her back. I am not normally so quick to complain, however it was the middle of a very emotionally unsettling personal life week for me:

Hi Wille-
I am extremely unhappy about the dish. That is an understatement. At minimum, I will need something in writing releasing myself, kaytelin, and any other guest on the property from being liable for damage caused to the dish. My daughter is a child and I can just see her hitting it with a ball, etc., and us getting sued for $5000 or however much one of those things cost.
The great side yard was alot of the appeal of the outside of the home, a big deciding factor for us was the combination of the yard and the presence of that sweet kid next door, and now with this big junky clucky thing in the middle of the yard, well, i am just too upset actually figure out how to solve this problem. I can tell I will not sleep well tonight.
Are there any other options? The house is already wired for Comcast service. I do not see why the property I am renting should be changed by someone who lives elsewhere. What makes sense to me is this: If you cant get service in your own space, then I guess you arent getting satellite.
Wille, I hate to be complaining about this as I am typically an upbeat, positive problem-solver. But this has me very upset.
Are you sure every other option has been tried and disregarded? There has to be another way.
Leslie


I received the following response:

Good morning Leslie,
I am sorry that this is so upsetting to you but there really is no other way. Believe me I tried. The dish is right next to the tree, on the property line, so it is not quite all by itself. There still is plenty of side yard to play in and if you want something in writing that is fine. If you want to change your mind about the whole deal, that is fine too. It is not nice to live in a place you are not happy with.
Just let me know very shortly.
And please don't loose sleep over this...................
Take care,
Wille


I thought about what to do and talked to my boss and a couple other folks and friends about it and they all agreed that it sucked but I made the following decision:

Good Evening Wille-
I chewed on this all last night and today. In fact I thought about it so much last night I overslept this morning and was late for work!!! . If you say you have exhausted all other options, then I believe you. I am going to have to figure out how to accept it, but I can. I think overall the benefits of the place still outweigh the drawbacks... is there a way to surround it to the tree? My main concerns about this are A: property damage, and B: Personal injury. I dont want either one to happen! If it can be fenced in such a way to alleviate those worries, I will be more than satisfied. Thank you for listening to my troubles on this matter.

Leslie

We shall see what happens. It will be very unfortunate when it gets hit by a ball and knocked out of commission right after we move in. Or someone steals it. Or it gets hit by a universal void. Or.... whatever else you can think of, Im taking suggestions. ;)

1 comment:

ABW said...

Abs would have that thing down in no time at all including a trip to the er because she would try to climb it or the fence surrounding it.

I say two weeks, with a ball, in the side yard....